PDA

View Full Version : River Downs jockey Lori Wydick

Lyn
07-08-2005, 10:51 PM
Pay attention when this girl has a mount, she is really good...

from thoroughbredtimes.com

Young son motivates Wydick to return to riding racehorses

Jockey overcomes long layoff, rediscovers winning ways

As the suburbs of Cincinnati eventually give way to southeastern Indiana cornfields, jockey Lori Wydick continues her drive west on Interstate 74 on the first Friday evening in June. Her mind wanders a bit to the start of her day in which she won the first three races at River Downs.

As usual, she does not allow herself to dwell on those victories. They were nice, but she thought, "Maybe I could have won another. Maybe the fourth race, where I finished second, or even the fifth race, where I finished third." Of course, her day is not done. She would ride again that night in Shelbyville, Indiana, at Indiana Downs and win the first and ninth races to wrap up a day of riding that started with a win at 2:51 p.m. and ended with a win at 11:10 p.m. EDT.

But as the afternoon fades to evening and the drive starts to wear on her, her thoughts turn to her six-year-old son and an ongoing custody battle. They always do.

"I’m riding for him," Wydick said. "I have to."

After her son was born on June 10, 1999, Wydick returned to racing. But after a serious fall in 2000, the winner of eight River Downs riding titles evaluated her priorities. With the risks involved in racing and the added obligation of having a young son, she decided to stop riding.

Like many custody cases, hers is complicated. The simplified version boils down to this: Wydick had concerns that her son’s father (whom she did not marry) had abused the boy. The father denies those allegations. In August, Wydick said she was accused of kidnapping the boy when she took him to northern Ohio. She said the accusation resulted from a misunderstanding and blames the courts.

Her son has been in foster care as the courts work to make a decision in the matter. But legal bills have piled up for Wydick, who said she owes family members $80,000.

"I would have lost my son if I did not have my mom and my dad and my grandmother helping me," said Wydick, 40. "That’s why I’m riding because it just financially trashed three family members that I’m financially obligated to now."

Despite all those concerns off the track and not racing since 2000, Wydick has returned in impressive fashion. Through June 25, she had won 52 races from 271 mounts this year at River Downs. Five of those victories have come for trainer Randy Brinkman.

"I’ve never heard of someone being able to miss five years and come back as quickly as she has," Brinkman said. "Still though, she’s probably not 100% racing fit. Just wait until she is; that’s going to be something. I mean she’s already riding a lot of winners, and I think she’s just going to get that much better."

Wydick, who ranks tenth among female jockeys by career wins, said she decided in January to return to racing at the River Downs spring meet. She started practicing yoga and working out and began breezing horses at area tracks. She said she wanted to be ready to go from the start.

"I’ve never thought of me as the person who was just so talented that I was winning all these races," she said. "You have to keep it in perspective. You have people back there working on these horses all day. You have trainers working with them, and the money here is not good.

"People are here to try to make a living, and if you’re riding horses, you have to do exactly what you need to do. You have to be at your best, because everyone is working their butts off and you’re sitting on [a horse’s] back for a minute and whatever. That’s my job. That’s how I’ve always thought of it."

That approach helped Wydick guide Wall Street Dancer to victory in the 1990 Rascal Stakes at River Downs. She rode Justa Little Honey to five stakes victories, including the $100,000 Queen City Oaks in 1991 at River. She won that race again in 1993 aboard Bombaysunshine.

"When you win, there’s nothing better than to have all those people congratulate you," she said. "The bottom line is if these horses don’t run for you, that’s a lot of work with no reward for all these people. That’s why I can win three races and then be upset the rest of the day because I didn’t win a fourth. That’s because I wanted to win for those people."

Wydick rode at both River Downs and Indiana Downs for a couple of weeks, explaining that the Indiana track would be a good place to pick up more connections. She hopes to stay at River Downs through the summer and then move to Turfway Park in Northern Kentucky in September. She wants to stay in the Cincinnati area while she works to win custody of her son.

"I think of him all day," Wydick said.Frank Angst

smokinjoe
07-11-2005, 08:19 AM
River Downs - July 11th, 2005 - Race 4
Estimated Local Post Time: 2:20 PM
Race Type: Allowance
Breed: Thoroughbred
Age Restriction: Three Year Old and Upward
Purse: $9,300
Distance:Five Furlongs
Surface: Turf
Post Horse
Jockey
Owner Age Sex Weight
Trainer
Breeder Odds
1 Yippee (KY)
Lori A. Wydick
Jerry S. Brumley and Kay Reed 6 Gelding 119
Eric R. Reed
Spendthrift Farm 7/2

im rootin for lori on this horse.......bigtime

Lyn
07-11-2005, 11:23 AM
Joe,
I definitely like her horse much more than the ML fave #7.
Lyn

I see this race 2-1-4-7

smokinjoe
07-11-2005, 11:28 AM
Joe,
I definitely like her horse much more than the ML fave #7.
Lyn

I see this race 2-1-4-7

thnx for input lyn,,ok i will add box w/ 2,4,7,,,,,,

Keeneland Ron
07-11-2005, 11:50 AM
River Downs - July 11th, 2005 - Race 4
Estimated Local Post Time: 2:20 PM
Race Type: Allowance
Breed: Thoroughbred
Age Restriction: Three Year Old and Upward
Purse: $9,300
Distance:Five Furlongs
Surface: Turf
Post Horse
Jockey
Owner Age Sex Weight
Trainer
Breeder Odds
1 Yippee (KY)
Lori A. Wydick
Jerry S. Brumley and Kay Reed 6 Gelding 119
Eric R. Reed
Spendthrift Farm 7/2

im rootin for lori on this horse.......bigtime

Looks like the trainer doesn't agree he's switched jockeys to Bejarano.

Lyn
07-11-2005, 12:25 PM
GR
today is a special day at River, Peruvian jockey day. Bejarano doesnt normally ride at River Downs!
Lyn

Lyn
07-11-2005, 12:27 PM
thnx for input lyn,,ok i will add box w/ 2,4,7,,,,,,
did you play the 10 cent super? :)

Oh, the best part is that Yippee won and is the son of PERUVIAN!

I see this race 2-1-4-7

River/Thistle - Race 4
# Win Place Show
1 $6.80 $3.40 $2.20
7 . $3.20 $2.20
2 . . $2.20
4 . . $2.20

Keeneland Ron
07-11-2005, 12:31 PM
GR
today is a special day at River, Peruvian jockey day. Bejarano doesnt normally ride at River Downs!
Lyn

But why did the trainers of 2 of her mounts stiff her for Bejarano, not much loyalty there. I hope she at least gets her fee.

Lyn
07-11-2005, 12:34 PM
i dont know how she feels about it. i know if i was a trainer and a big time guy like Rafael Bejarano shows up, I want him on my horses! She wasnt the only one to get booted off a mount. i think its ok with the jocks, they know this is a special day.

smokinjoe
07-11-2005, 12:36 PM
yippeeeeeeeeee,,,yea lyn had him keyed in tri and super..thnx

Lyn
07-11-2005, 12:46 PM
yippeeeeeeeeee,,,yea lyn had him keyed in tri and super..thnx
rock on joe!!!!!!!! way to go!!!!!!!!

$2 Trifecta 1-7-2 $33.20
$2 Trifecta 1-7-4 $62.20
$2 Quad/Superfecta 1-7-4-2 $128.80
$2 Quad/Superfecta 1-7-2-4 $113.60