Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Horse Players- Esquire Channel

Default new-horseplayer show

tues
    10pm
    esquire channel
    -you have to forget what you have learned so you can relearn what you have forgotten-

-having a hole in your ticket is just as bad as having a hole in your wallet-

-there are children playing in the streets who could hit the most impossible pick 6s...-

-sit with men wearing explosives,walk down a dark road in guatemala,or feed a lion but do not eat pizza with bad gamblers

-Why not-

-racing today doesnt make sense-so why should i bet horses that do-

THE WAY I READ IT, LOOKS LIKE THEIR GOING TO USE SAME TYPE FORMAT THAT HAS BROUGHT POKER BACK TO IT'S POPULARITY!!!!!!

FINGERS CROSSED HOPE IT'S A SUCCESS.... I'LL BE WATCHING

Quote Originally Posted by rabbai View Post
    THE WAY I READ IT, LOOKS LIKE THEIR GOING TO USE SAME TYPE FORMAT THAT HAS BROUGHT POKER BACK TO IT'S POPULARITY!!!!!!

FINGERS CROSSED HOPE IT'S A SUCCESS.... I'LL BE WATCHING
    This has disaster written all over it.. If this last longer than 2 seasons it'll be a huge upset. I just can't imagine who would be the audience for this. I hope this doesn't end up embarrassing the sport but I'm not counting on it.

Quote Originally Posted by Ray View Post
    This has disaster written all over it.. If this last longer than 2 seasons it'll be a huge upset. I just can't imagine who would be the audience for this. I hope this doesn't end up embarrassing the sport but I'm not counting on it.
    Sadly there isn't much you can currently show about the sport that isn't embarrassing.
    "I am a sinner who does not expect forgiveness. But I am not a government official." - Francis Wolcott, 'Deadwood'.

Quote Originally Posted by Slew View Post
    Sadly there isn't much you can currently show about the sport that isn't embarrassing.
    LOL.. So true...Did anyone watch Stable Wars? I enjoyed the first episode and then it just got really stupid. Typical garbage "reality tv" and this new one will be much the same...There is no audience for it...Most horseplayers will probably hate it. ...And I think that channel is not HD, at least on DirectTV. I found it a couple of weeks ago, I'll have to search again to DVR it. No idea what channel.

I heard Michelle Yu is in one episode, but why all dudes? Can't find one hot woman horseplayer?
    Last edited by turfnsport; 01-20-2014 at 09:27 AM.

Got an email from NTRA while I was typing last post:

http://tv.esquire.com/shows/horseplayers

Default Horse Players- Esquire Channel

New horse racing show starts tomorrow on Esquire channel.

Enter the high-stakes world of professional horse race handicapping, where the only thing bigger than the bets are the characters placing them. From Churchill Downs to Saratoga to Santa Anita, each episode follows a group of handicappers as they travel the country in search of instant riches – and compete for the title of America’s top handicapper. Produced by Go Go Luckey.
    http://tv.esquire.com/shows/horseplayers
    'i distrust those people who know so well what God wants them to do, because i notice it always coincides with their own desires' - Susan B. Anthony, American feminist(1820-1906)

'It is impossible to defeat an ignorant man in argument'..William Gibbs McAdoo, American
    government official (1863-1941

So frustrating another example of how out of touch racing with mainstream America...
    I just have a feeling the sport is just gonna sink deeper and deeper into the fringes of mainstream acceptance...this show was garbage... Girlfriend hated it .. Among other hating the show was My brother, my dad & jimmyQ ... I asked 2 guys at work to give the show a try without sharing my prediction of complete failure....one guy watches sports not horses and doesn't bet and the other guy has very casual knowledge of sports but plays slots. His text to me read "Dude WTF is this sh it?...No bueno!!".. I imagine other guy will feel the same but I'll find out tomorrow...the countdown to cancellation has begun.

Quote Originally Posted by Ray View Post
    So frustrating another example of how out of touch racing with mainstream America...
    I just have a feeling the sport is just gonna sink deeper and deeper into the fringes of mainstream acceptance...this show was garbage... Girlfriend hated it .. Among other hating the show was My brother, my dad & jimmyQ ... I asked 2 guys at work to give the show a try without sharing my prediction of complete failure....one guy watches sports not horses and doesn't bet and the other guy has very casual knowledge of sports but plays slots. His text to me read "Dude WTF is this sh it?...No bueno!!".. I imagine other guy will feel the same but I'll find out tomorrow...the countdown to cancellation has begun.
    i have never expected the sport to be anything but on the fringes

I only care if I can make money at the game or not
    can I get value

in fact the more I watch people and life the more I realize
    people delude themselves because if they didn't they would be full of rage how others including themselves try to get over on others

money sex perhaps their core family and maybe football

how is anybody new to the game going to like it if they sit at home
    waiting for some small bonus
    and if they are they certainly aren't going to care about the sport

luck was a good show relatively speaking-but was that going to suck in more suckers

mash made people laugh...happy days too..we tuned in to laugh while viet nam and the cold war raged-and oil prices went up up and away

some whacked out woman loved gunsmoke over gilligans island
    -you have to forget what you have learned so you can relearn what you have forgotten-

-there are children playing in the streets who could hit the most impossible pick 6s...-

-sit with men wearing explosives,walk down a dark road in guatemala,or feed a lion but do not eat pizza with bad gamblers

-Why not-

Watched it last night on the re-run at 1AM and I am not sure what I watched. Cigar Mile from two years ago, yet showing clips from some of this years coverage, Groupie Doll at 20-1, some dude trying to sound like Denman calling the BC races.....I have no idea what was going on.
    Sometimes you're flush and sometimes you're bust, and when you're up, it's never as good as it seems, and when you're down, you never think you'll be up again, but life goes on.

currently this is what american wants to see in a reality show- ultra rich people bitching about there problems, hillbillies or shows about destroying environments.

if it has any of those elements then it will be a success.
    If someone hates you for no reason, give that motherfuker a reason.

LOL. sounds like I should delete it from my DVR? Shocking

Quote Originally Posted by Pick 3 Guru View Post
    Watched it last night on the re-run at 1AM and I am not sure what I watched. Cigar Mile from two years ago, yet showing clips from some of this years coverage, Groupie Doll at 20-1, some dude trying to sound like Denman calling the BC races.....I have no idea what was going on.
    zagora
    bad modern art

quite cheasy

I would like to have the speed horse at aqu next out

-Why not-

Quote Originally Posted by turfnsport View Post
    Just watched it...eh...Found myself rooting against theses guys, not the least bit likable characters....That Christian dude is just weird. The attention to detail like the actual odds was ridiculous.
    You mean Groupie Doll wasn't actually 20-1????
    Sometimes you're flush and sometimes you're bust, and when you're up, it's never as good as it seems, and when you're down, you never think you'll be up again, but life goes on.

Quote Originally Posted by Pick 3 Guru View Post
    You mean Groupie Doll wasn't actually 20-1????
    I guess most casual fans would not notice. I was pulling up the charts for each race and the odds that were on the graphics were all wrong...A couple may have been ML odds I suppose. Kinda nuts they could not get that right.

Cool idea. Did anyone see it?

just merged threads

VERY DISAPPOINTED COULDN'T RELATE TO ANY PLAYER'S.....ESPECIALLY THE GUY AND GIRL THAT WERE SAYING ARAB PRAYER'S....REALLY....

HORSES NAMES AND ODDS WERE VERY HARD TO FOLLOW..... NEVER SEEN A TOTE BOARD...... **** SUCKED... SAD....

Quote Originally Posted by rabbai View Post
    VERY DISAPPOINTED COULDN'T RELATE TO ANY PLAYER'S.....ESPECIALLY THE GUY AND GIRL THAT WERE SAYING ARAB PRAYER'S....REALLY....

HORSES NAMES AND ODDS WERE VERY HARD TO FOLLOW..... NEVER SEEN A TOTE BOARD...... **** SUCKED... SAD....
    I loved it! Made me realize how much I miss the track, now that everyone bets from home. The players were ok, or a least reminded me of the classic characters at every track. I will watch! It will get better too, once they find their voice.

I finally watched it yesterday. I didn't think it was all that bad and it did seem to point out how the big horseplayers are. They tend to know everything when they win and make big excuses when they lose. I can definitely spot some of the people I have met down through the years when going to the track. I always was told to never, never trust a "tip" and this show seemed to reinforce that. I sat next to a guy at Colonial a few years back who lost out in an NTRA qualifier on the last race- although their format on the show was way different. As far as the odds and accuracy, I can't attest to that but I thought they used real races and race callers from last year and the year before.

I think if the public watches it, they can learn something about the types of bets and races and to stay away from the sucker bets like the pick 6 and pick 4. However, being on the Esquire channel (which I didn't even know I had), there won't be much of an audience unless there are commercials on major channels and ads in the sports pages for the program. They probably should have started to air it in March or April as the pre-Derby races start to air on major channels. Then they could have had a commercial or two and maybe even do a feature on the show.

I hope it stays on. I'll take most any horse racing movie or show I can get- there are so few of them. However, I have to DVR it since we watch Person Of Interest at that time when home.

Some of the quotes on this show are priceless.

I especially enjoyed the irony of the "probability analysis" guy handicapping how they horses looked in the ****ing Breeder's cup paddock.

"I'm a longshot bettor because I like value". Made no sense.
    Last edited by Msanislo20; 01-28-2014 at 12:55 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by turfnsport View Post
    Just watched it...eh...Found myself rooting against theses guys, not the least bit likable characters....That Christian dude is just weird. The attention to detail like the actual odds was ridiculous.
    I said same thing to myself while watching the first (and last, for me), show last night.
    Pretty much disgusting people.
    The former bookie, Conte(?) looks and acts like a phlegmwad.
    The guy out west is just a douche.
    The 3 guys at Aqueduct are almost normal, but I howled at the 62 yo guy with his 23 yo rental wife.
    Yeah, she likes you for your stellar personality...
    My guess is the 48 people in the general public who saw this and don't bet horses won't be looking forward to future episodes..

Quote Originally Posted by tpt1111 View Post
    I said same thing to myself while watching the first (and last, for me), show last night.
    The 3 guys at Aqueduct are almost normal, but I howled at the 62 yo guy with his 23 yo rental wife.
    My guess is the 48 people in the general public who saw this and don't bet horses won't be looking forward to future episodes..
    I watched part of the first episode
    and completely forgot about the 2nd episode

the characters seemed joyless and stuck back in the 70s and maybe the 80s

-Why not-

also I know few ex bookies
    they always come back to their craft

-Why not-

Wink

I watched 10mins last night and I'm still LOL at just about all of them betting Orb in the Preak, something I don't think ever crossed my mind.
    "An inexhaustible good nature is one of the most precious gifts of heaven, spreading itself like oil over the troubled sea of thought, and keeping the mind smooth and equable in the roughest weather." Washington Irving

Quote Originally Posted by tpt1111 View Post
    The one thing I couldn't believe is that it said the Conte guy was 2009 NTRA handicapper of the year? WTF? The guy with his $20 3 horse exacta boxes eh?

Quote Originally Posted by cre8flow View Post
    I watched part of the first episode
    and completely forgot about the 2nd episode

the characters seemed joyless and stuck back in the 70s and maybe the 80s
    they all seemed like archetypes save maybe the Eastern trust fund value bettor.

i am thinking
    groupie doll 20-1
    only time if ever would have been that cigar mile

-Why not-